2017 Trip: August 5-12
2018 Trip: August 4-11
WHAT WE DO FOR THE WEEK
- Saturday: We depart from NYC usually around 7:00am, arrive in Managua in the afternoon, and take a 1 hour ride to the orphanage in Diriamba. We get settled and get to meet some of the children.
- Sunday: We accompany the children to Sunday mass in the town and spend the rest of the day with them.
- Monday-Wednesday: We help with construction projects. Past work projects have included helping build the church at the Diriamba site, extending the pig pen, moving piles of dirt to clearing sites for new construction, and mixing cement and laying building base. Building experience is not required, just a willingness to help in whatever way you are able. We also spend some time with the children.
- Thursday and Friday: We relax and enjoy team activities and visit different places in Nicaragua! Past team activities have included a day at the beach, a tour of Christ in the Garbage Ministries in Managua, and a visit to La Abuela and swim in Lake Apoyo inside of Apoyo Volcano!
- Saturday: We depart from Managua usually around 7:00am, and arrive in NYC in the early evening.
WHERE WE STAY
Housing for the mission team is at Diriamba, Nicaragua. We stay in a very roomy two-story structure with separate women’s and men’s dorms (bunk bed setup), bathrooms, and showers.
WHAT WE EAT
We are well fed while in Nicaragua! The staff at Diriamba prepares all of our meals on-site and packs our lunch meals to go when we work at the Managua site. All water that we drink is bottled and all food is prepared using clean/bottled water (not tap water). Before we depart, we usually have one shared meal as a team during our Friday outing at a restaurant.
INTERESTED IN COMING TO NICARAGUA?
- A commitment check of $750 (to "Mustard Seed Guild") is due the first of April and is needed to purchase your airline ticket
- Each person going to Nicaragua is asked to raise an additional $1250 (can be combination of cash, checks made to "Mustard Seed Communities", or direct donation on your personal fundraising site once it is setup). This may feel daunting - don’t worry! A seasoned team member will help you through this process. You may be surprised at how generous people are.
If you are interested in joining us this year, or have any other questions, email us at email@example.com